Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Last Goodnight

I fought for many months in haste through cracked and shattered sky

for vict'ry's sweet elusive taste and beaming of her eye.

She never came when I returned. In fact I was alone.

I found the village sacked and burned and, crying, held her bones.


She always was so elegant that even in her death

I stood, stunned with astonishment and sat with bated breath.

She almost seemed so beautiful, so white with ashen char

as to defy description, just like shadows seeing stars.


I held her for a moment more to cure my inner blight

and then, before departing, i kissed her one last good night.


(at first i was trying to write a poem about a zombie apocalypse, but nothing was coming out right and it just evolved into this. when i first wrote it, the poem didn't have much personal meaning to me. but when i think about it now, it describes when you dont pay enough attention to life, things change around you and no matter how much you dont want them to change, or you want them to go back to the way they were before, sometimes you just have to say goodbye to the things you once loved.)

1 comment:

Annette Janelle said...

Yay you put your blog back up! I'm glad. I love this poem by the way, too.

~Annette Janelle Firefly~